Sapin- sapin


Sapin sapin is probably one of the most popular and loved filipino delicacy. The recipe of which originated from one of the northern provinces of the country, Abra. It is made of a number of different layers of rice, with each layer having a different color which makes it a unique food.

Sapin sapin, a sweet and sticky dessert, is one of my favorite filipino delicacies. I remember eating it as a kid and enjoying every multicolored layer as I ate. I even see billboards advertising a brand of paint, using a sapin sapin to show how diverse the colors of their paint is. This kind of shows how special and unique sapin sapin is. Not only does it taste good, but eating it is also a memorable experience.

Now, i'll tell you how to make a sapin sapin and the ingredients needed so that you too can enjoy this wonderful and tasteful filipino delicacy.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups malagkit dough (galapong)
1/2 cup rice galapong
2 1/2 cups white sugar
3 cups cooked ube (mashed)
4 cups thick coconut cream (from 2-3 coconuts)
2 cans (big) condensed milk
food coloring; violet & egg-yellow

Preparation:
1. Blend all ingredients except mashed ube and food coloring.
2. Divide into thee parts.
3. Add mashed ube into one part. To heighten the color of the ube, add a dash of violet food coloring. Mix well.
4. Add egg yellow coloring to the second part. Mix well.
5. Don’t add anything to the 3rd part. This is the plain white layer.
6. Grease a round baking pan lined with banana leaves and grease the leaves.
7. Pour in ube mixture. Spread evenly.
8. Steam for 30 minutes or more, until firm. Note: cover the baking pan with cheese cloth before steaming.
9. Pour 2nd layer on top of the cooked ube. Cover again and steam for 30 minutes.
10. Lastly, pour in 3rd layer or the plain mixture. Again, steam for 30 minutes or until firm.
11. Sprinkle top with “latik”.
12. Cool before slicing.
13. Serve with “budbod” or toasted sweetened coconut.

ENJOY YOUR SAPIN - SAPIN!!

source: http://www.filipinodesserts.net/philippine-recipes/sapin-sapin-steamed-layered-sweet-rice-pie

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think I wanna try this!

Abby said...

Me too. I think I've only eaten this once or twice :P

Anonymous said...

I love the color :))

Anonymous said...

I miss eating this!

Nichole said...

Hahaha. They used sapin-sapin for this silly ad on paint. Davies, I think? :))

Anonymous said...

Looks jelly. :))

Anonymous said...

I wanna try this!

Anonymous said...

That's my dad's favorite!! ;;)

Post a Comment